Mississippi negro lore (c1914)

fullscreen
Author: Davis, Sidney Fant, 1874-
Subject: African Americans -- Mississippi; African Americans -- Social life and customs
Publisher: Jackson, Tenn., McCowat-Mercer
Digitizing sponsor: Sloan Foundation
Book contributor: The Library of Congress
Collection: library_of_congress; americana

Average Rating: 1.00 out of 5 stars

Reviewer: Mar McKay - 1.00 out of 5 stars - March 18, 2014
Subject: Details
I read parts of this book and I found the perspective of the writer to be disrespectful to the Black person. He paints them as not intelligent, and all kinds of cliches that were prominent during the years when he was writing. I avoid this book.

However of course it is essential that there is history about every aspect of the past. Archive.org is about free speech and they offer books on both sides of just about every issue. For that I'm very grateful to the cause of Internet Archive, archive.org. I've learned so much from the old publications about my families' homes. (And have also learned from the books I don't like.) I'm a genealogist and it has helped my process so much.

Just this week I joined archive.org and give a small contribution to them. It didn't hurt to do it. It was very easy to accomplish as they have contributions set up going through www.amazon.com. It feels right to give to the organization that gives so much.

Selected metadata

Scanningcenter: capitolhill
Mediatype: texts
Identifier-bib: 00116958326
Identifier: mississippinegro00davi
Operator: scanner-lian1-kam@...
Scanner: scribe6.capitolhill.archive.org
Scandate: 20080512133230
Identifier-access: http://www.archive.org/details/mississippinegro00davi
Identifier-ark: ark:/13960/t6k07598b
Sponsordate: 20080531